Same Country, Different World

Bailey Hill/Bryn y Beili

During the 12th century, the town of Mold grew up around a Norman motte and bailey castle in the area now known as Bailey Hill (Bryn y Beili). Though this castle saw many fierce battles between the English and Welsh, its importance began to decline after 1329.

About us

A project to redevelop the site began in January 2020. During these works, arrowheads and pottery, probably dating from around the 12th or 13th century, were uncovered. Intriguingly, the remains of seven bodies were also discovered and samples of these have been sent to Durham University for further analysis. These finds suggest that the site has greater significance than previously thought.


At the top of the site are the Cerrig yr Orsedd (Gorsedd Stones), laid out in 1922 for the National Eisteddfod held in Mold the following year. Artifacts, interpretation boards and film footage relating to the site are on display in the Bailey Hill Centre, which is usually open between 11.00 am – 2.30 pm weekdays (please refer to their Facebook page for up to date information).
Entry to the site is free, and there are public toilets (with full disabled access) within the visitor centre.
Please note: there are no café facilities at Bailey Hill.